Notices to Competitors / Sailing Instruction Amendments:
- Amendment #1, 2020-08-25: In parts C & E, 2.1, the fleet pennants on B Course, hosted by BYC, are 5, 6 and 7, respectively; not 1, 2 and 3, as originally published.
- Amendment #2, 2020-09-29: Part F amended to provide for a Catamaran & Dinghy class. Details here.
- Amendment #3, 2020-10-10: Change to Time Trial format for remaining Frostbite races, as explained here.
Main changes made to the SIs for 2020:
Note: some of the changes below were agreed upon prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and apply to our “normal” racing program, and may not be relevant for 2020. For example, some changes apply to Thursday night one-design racing, though there will be no one-design keelboat racing in 2020. Such changes are included nevertheless, and will likely carry forward to future years.
- Tuesday evening races will consist of mixed Flying Sail (spinnaker) and Non-Flying Sail (white sail) racing, with boats split into classes of similar types of boats.
- Thursday evening races will be JAM only, with boats sailing in the same classes as on Tuesday evenings.
- Use of discretionary penalties allowed for specific rule infractions.
- SI 13.1 requires that boats check in with the Race Committee prior to their preparatory signal, declaring “PHRF” or “JAM”, as appropriate.
- SI 19.1 now applies only to the catamaran fleet (“Two-Turns Penalty” vs “One-Turn Penalty”).
- SI 21.8 notes that racing will be postponed if there are an insufficient number of volunteers to run a race. This is not an issue for 2020, as the RC Volunteer program is suspended for 2020.
- For one-design racing (not applicable in 2020), it was agreed that the Sharks and Tanzer 22s would start together on Thursday evenings, but would be scored separately. For the Fall Series, the combined Shark and Tanzer 22 start would be before the J24 & C&C 27 starts.
- Not applicable in 2020, but the splits between JAM divisions would have dropped by 12, to reflect PHRF-LO changes to JAM handicaps that lowered the non-flying sail (“JAM”) handicaps of almost all boats. This means that most boats would have raced in the same JAM division as they did in 2019.
- Most series and overall awards/trophies will not be presented in 2020, as most series did not happen in their regular format. Annexes B1 & B2.
Page updated: 2021-05-08.
2021-05-08 HM: Page content copied from https://nsc.ca/web2/racing/si/.
Page maintained by H. Morrin.