- Main Racing Page.
- PHRF certificate application form.
- List of NSC Race Registrants & PHRF Certificate Holders.
- PHRF Certificate Query – Search, view or download PHRF certificates.
- NSC’s PHRF Comparison Tool
- A PHRF Primer – View.
- PHRF-LO – Visit. See also Part 1 and Part 2 of the PHRF-LO Handicapper’s Manual.
A PHRF certificate is required for anyone racing in Monday night Women’s Racing, Tuesday night PHRF (Divisions 1, 2 or 3), Thursday night JAM (Divisions 1, 2 or 3), or any PHRF long distance race. PHRF certificates must be renewed annually.
NSC members pay $40+HST ($36+HST if received by April 1st) for a PHRF certificate (regardless of whether it is a renewal or new certificate). For members who had a PHRF certificate in the previous year, this amount will be added to your mooring invoice. For others, contact the office to arrange payment.
Boats will not be scored until their PHRF application fee is received, and their PHRF certificate and race registration are processed. Do not leave this to the last minute! And do not expect a quick turn-around on applications submitted in early May. (Read this.)
The process for obtaining a current certificate is as follows:
- If you had a PHRF-LO certificate the previous year, and there are no changes to your boat that affect your PHRF certificate, just check the appropriate box on your Race Registration form. Your mooring invoice should already include your PHRF fee.
- If you had a PHRF-LO certificate the previous year, and there are changes to your boat that affect your PHRF certificate, download a PHRF certificate application form. Fill in your name, the name of your boat, your previous PHRF certificate number (if you know it; if not, don’t worry about it) and enter only the information that has changed since your previous certificate was issued. Your mooring invoice should already include your PHRF fee. Email the form to the club Handicapper.
- If you did not had a PHRF-LO certificate the previous year, download and complete a PHRF certificate application form. Arrange with the office to pay the PHRF fee. Email the form to the club Handicapper.
Changes that would affect your PHRF rating include a larger sail, a different type of propeller, a longer spinnaker pole, or other major changes. If in doubt, contact one of the individuals noted below. If changes are required during the season, the process is the same. New sails should normally be measured, and it is the owner/skipper’s responsibility to ensure that the boat still conforms to its rating. If in doubt, check with the club handicapper. Normally a boat keeps the same PHRF handicap for the entire season; if changes are required mid season, read this.
Each spring, usually in April, the club hosts a PHRF Sail Measuring, where members can get help measuring their sails and completing these forms. For questions about PHRF handicaps, or for assistance in completing your PHRF application forms, please contact one of the individuals noted below:
- Jan Huus, 613-298-0898.
- Hugh Morrin, 613-302-0318.
- E-mail to Handicapper at nsc.ca goes to both of the above individuals.
For an explanation of PHRF, read a PHRF Primer.
For more information on PHRF, visit the PHRF-LO (PHRF – Lake Ontario) website at www.phrf-lo.org.
Page updated: 2021-07-17.
27 Jun: HM: Added this update log. Changed “Handicapper@nsc.ca” to “Handicapper at nsc.ca”.
16 Jan: HM: Removed Doug Sander’s name. Updated the “Page updated” date.
12 Nov: HM: Added Colin Mombourquette’s name. Added link to https://nsc.ca/web2/racing/phrf/mid-season-handicap-changes/.
31 Jul: HM: Added Quick Link to PHRF Certificate Query.
30 Dec: HM: Removed Jan’s name.
04 Jul: HM: Corrected fee to $36+HST ($35 if received by April 1st); was $35/$32. Added Georges-Andre’s name.
24 Aug: HM: Corrected fee to $36+HST ($33+HST if received by April 1st). Doh!
17 Oct: HM: Removed Colin’s name.
26 Nov: HM: Noted that a $5 fee increase has been proposed for 2019.
02 Feb: HM: Updated with 2019 PHRF fees ($40 & $36, + HST). Changed reference to point to Northstar registration “form”, with associated changes and links.
01 Jul: HM: Replaced GA’s name and contact info with Jan’s. Changed linked PHRF application form, and deleted MS Word version.
21 Nov: HM: Added historical list of handicappers below. Did not change “Updated” date.
2021-05-26, HM: Significant rewording and updating of information on renewing a certificate, and payment of fees. Updated link to PHRF-LO Handicapper’s Manual. Added reminder below to update publish date.
2021-07-17, HM: Added link to PHRF Comparison Tool.
NOTE: Update the publish date and time when updating page.
Historical NSC Handicappers:
2004: Marcel Laroche
2005: Hugh Morrin
2006: Hugh Morrin
2007: Hugh Morrin
2008: Hugh Morrin
2009: Hugh Morrin
2010: Hugh Morrin, Doug Sander, Steve Mombourquette
2011: Steve Mombourquette, Doug Sander and Hugh Morrin
2012: Steve Mombourquette, Doug Sander and Hugh Morrin
2013: Steve Mombourquette, Doug Sander and Hugh Morrin
2014: Jan Huus, Doug Sander and Hugh Morrin
2015: Jan Huus, Doug Sander and Hugh Morrin
2016: Jan Huus and Hugh Morrin
2017: Colin Mombourquette, Jan Huus and Hugh Morrin
2018: Colin Mombourquette (initially), then Georges-André, Hugh Morrin
2019: Georges-André, Hugh Morrin
2020: Georges-André (initially), then Jan Huus, Hugh Morrin
2021: Jan Huus, Hugh Morrin
Page maintained by H. Morrin.