During Season text:
The 2018 Sailing Instructions & Race Calendar are now available as a pdf. See below for a list of the major changes. Page 2 of the SIs shows the Series calendar, and pages 3 & 4 show the Weekend and Special Events calendar, but this information is also available on the NSC Google Calendar.
The NSC SIs have been coordinated, and are aligned, with the BYC SIs, both of which address our Interclub racing program.
Notices to Competitors / Sailing Instruction Amendments:
- Amendment #1, Not yet …
Main changes made to the SIs for 2019:
- SI 19.1 now also applies to the C&C 27 one-design fleet (“Two-Turns Penalty” vs “One-Turn Penalty”).
- Scoring will be per Appendix A of Racing Rules of Sailing using the low point system; i.e. first place will now get 1 point. SI 21.1.
- If dinghy or catamaran sailors are “No Shows” for RC Duty, the penalties defined in 21.10 will now apply to all races sailed on the night in question.
- New SI 22 addresses “Discontinued Races”.
- Explanation of keeper awards moved to Part A, 23. For events or series with fewer than six boats, on average, the number of keeper awards presented will be reduced, per SI 23.1.
- Notwithstanding the above, keepers will be awarded to the top 3 Martin 16 sailors.
- Revised wording in SI 24, Disclaimer of Liability.
- Start order for Sharks and Tanzer 22s alternate annually, per tradition.
- For the Fall Series only, the Sharks and Tanzer 22s will start together, but will be scored separately. Part E, 1.1.
- Clarification added that a valid PHRF certificate is required for the Ice Breaker Series.
- Keepers will not be awarded for the Ice Breaker Series.
- Clarification added that RRS 47.2 does not apply to up-river races that include a break/interruption (e.g. Quyon Race, Mohr Island Race).
- Warning time for Pinhey’s Point Race #2 (hosted by NSC) changed to 1200.
- Clarification on Awards for Womens series – see Annex B1 and B2.
- Flags on start and finish marks will be larger orange flags for better visibility.
In addition to reading the Sailing Instructions, every racer should obtain and read the 2017-2020 version of the World Sailing Racing Rules of Sailing, and the Sail Canada Prescriptions. These “Rule Books” are available for purchase at the club office.
Page updated: 2019-03-10.
28 Feb: HM: Update Log created. Added last para per meeting with Ross.
20-21 Apr: HM: General update.
25 Apr: HM: Posted 2015 SIs. Changed title from “Sailing Instructions” to “Sailing Instructions & Race Calendar”.
24 Jan: HM: Saved the 2015 SIs as a separate page, and updated this page for 2016.
30 Apr: HM: Posted 2016 SIs.
15 May: HM: Posted Amendment #1.
16 May: HM: Posted Amendment #2.
28 May: HM: Corrected typos which had “first race of the JAM Spring Series (2015-05-19)”, instead of 2016…
15 Sep: HM: Added Amendment #3.
03 Feb: HM: Moved 2016 info to https://nsc.ca/web2/racing/si/2016-nsc-sailing-instructions/. Cleared 2016 info, and noted 2017 SIs would be available in April.
08 Apr: HM: Noted major changes for 2017.
21 Apr: HM: Noted new name for Jacques Adam River Challenge. Added link to 2017 SIs. Added reference/link to BYC SIs.
12 May: HM: Added updated version of SIs to Box (without erroneous references to “2016”, and noted changes accordingly.
13 May: HM: Changed ISAF to World Sailing.
21 Jun: HM: Added amendment #1.
17 Jan: HM: First update for 2018. Created separate file for 2017. Changed name of Fleet Captain.
24 Feb: HM: Started to list changes for 2018.
25 Mar: HM: Added to list changes for 2018.
29 Apr: HM: More updates.
30 Apr: HM: Added link to 2018 SIs.
10 Mar: HM: Started noting changes for 2019.
Page maintained by H. Morrin.