The 2020 Sailing Instructions & Race Calendar are now available as a pdf. See below for a list of the major changes. Page 2 of the SIs shows the Series calendar, and page 3 shows the Weekend and Special Event planned for the remainder of 2020. This information is also available on the NSC Google Calendar.
Expect the SIs to be published soon, but below is a summary of the significant changes for 2020. In the meantime, check out the 2020 NSC Google Calendar for scheduled events, or last year’s Sailing Instructions.
The NSC SIs have been coordinated, and are aligned, with the BYC SIs, both of which address our Interclub racing program.
During Season text:
The 2020 Sailing Instructions & Race Calendar are now available as a pdf. See below for a list of the major changes. Page 2 of the SIs shows the Series calendar, and pages 3 & 4 show the Weekend and Special Events calendar, but this information is also available on the NSC Google Calendar.
For reference, older copies of the SIs are available – see the 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 versions along with the significant changes, or the pdf versions for 1999-2012 are available in Box.
Notices to Competitors / Sailing Instruction Amendments:
- Amendment #1, 2020-08-25: In parts C & E, 2.1, the fleet pennants on B Course, hosted by BYC, are 5, 6 and 7, respectively; not 1, 2 and 3, as originally published.
- Amendment #2, 2020-09-29: Part F amended to provide for a Catamaran & Dinghy class. Details here.
- Amendment #3, 2020-10-10: Change to Time Trial format for remaining Frostbite races, as explained here.
Main changes made to the SIs for 2020:
Note: some of the changes below were agreed upon prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and apply to our “normal” racing program, and may not be relevant for 2020. For example, some changes apply to Thursday night one-design racing, though there will be no one-design keelboat racing in 2020. Such changes are included nevertheless, and will likely carry forward to future years.
- Tuesday evening races will consist of mixed Flying Sail (spinnaker) and Non-Flying Sail (white sail) racing, with boats split into classes of similar types of boats.
- Thursday evening races will be JAM only, with boats sailing in the same classes as on Tuesday evenings.
- Use of discretionary penalties allowed for specific rule infractions.
- SI 13.1 requires that boats check in with the Race Committee prior to their preparatory signal, declaring “PHRF” or “JAM”, as appropriate.
- SI 19.1 now applies only to the catamaran fleet (“Two-Turns Penalty” vs “One-Turn Penalty”).
- SI 21.8 notes that racing will be postponed if there are an insufficient number of volunteers to run a race. This is not an issue for 2020, as the RC Volunteer program is suspended for 2020.
- For one-design racing (not applicable in 2020), it was agreed that the Sharks and Tanzer 22s would start together on Thursday evenings, but would be scored separately. For the Fall Series, the combined Shark and Tanzer 22 start would be before the J24 & C&C 27 starts.
- Not applicable in 2020, but the splits between JAM divisions would have dropped by 12, to reflect PHRF-LO changes to JAM handicaps that lowered the non-flying sail (“JAM”) handicaps of almost all boats. This means that most boats would have raced in the same JAM division as they did in 2019.
- Most series and overall awards/trophies will not be presented in 2020, as most series did not happen in their regular format. Annexes B1 & B2.
In addition to reading the Sailing Instructions, every racer should obtain and read the 2017-2020 version of the World Sailing Racing Rules of Sailing, and the Sail Canada Prescriptions. These “Rule Books” are available for purchase at the club office.
Page updated: 2020-11-17.
28 Feb: HM: Update Log created. Added last para per meeting with Ross.
20-21 Apr: HM: General update.
25 Apr: HM: Posted 2015 SIs. Changed title from “Sailing Instructions” to “Sailing Instructions & Race Calendar”.
24 Jan: HM: Saved the 2015 SIs as a separate page, and updated this page for 2016.
30 Apr: HM: Posted 2016 SIs.
15 May: HM: Posted Amendment #1.
16 May: HM: Posted Amendment #2.
28 May: HM: Corrected typos which had “first race of the JAM Spring Series (2015-05-19)”, instead of 2016…
15 Sep: HM: Added Amendment #3.
03 Feb: HM: Moved 2016 info to https://nsc.ca/web2/racing/si/2016-nsc-sailing-instructions/.
Cleared 2016 info, and noted 2017 SIs would be available in April.
08 Apr: HM: Noted major changes for 2017.
21 Apr: HM: Noted new name for Jacques Adam River Challenge. Added link to 2017 SIs. Added reference/link to BYC SIs.
12 May: HM: Added updated version of SIs to Box (without erroneous references to “2016”, and noted changes accordingly.
13 May: HM: Changed ISAF to World Sailing.
21 Jun: HM: Added amendment #1.
17 Jan: HM: First update for 2018. Created separate file for 2017. Changed name of Fleet Captain.
24 Feb: HM: Started to list changes for 2018.
25 Mar: HM: Added to list changes for 2018.
29 Apr: HM: More updates.
30 Apr: HM: Added link to 2018 SIs.
10 Mar: HM: Started noting changes for 2019.
01 May: HM: Added reference to Rabbit Starts.
20 May: HM: Added link to 2019 SIs in pdf format.
21 Jun: HM: Added Amdt 1.
03 Jun: HM: Updated for 2020: noted major changes; added link to 2019 SI WordPress page.
08 Jun: HM: Added note about JAM division splits.
27 Jun: HM: Removed “SI 8.3 of Part H documents a long-standing practice requiring boats to register for the entire ILD series
as either JAM (no flying sails) or PHRF (with flying sails/spinnakers)”, as discussion as to whether to remove that for 2020.
24 Aug: HM: Significant updates to reflect planned SI release for remainder of 2020. Added link to 2020 SIs in pdf format.
25 Aug: HM: Added amendment 1.
29 Sep: HM: Added amendment 2.
13 Oct: HM: Added amendment 3.
17 Nov: HM: Noted that versions in Box date back to 1999; before it erroneously referenced only back to 2005.
Page maintained by H. Morrin.